Plagiarism: on Esenin and Gogol

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Fri May 3 18:25:17 UTC 1996

Another of my emigre students (a friend of the one who wrote on Dostoevsky)
has submitted two papers which look to me as if they are plagiarized,
although the student swears on a stack of Bibles )figuratively) that they
are his work. I would like to give you the first paragraphs of each in the
hope that someone may recognize the source, or at least refer me to
someone knowledgeable.
        From "Rodina i priroda v proizvedeniikh Yesenina": "Rodina. Rus.
Rossiia. Prekrasnaia, velichavaia i gordaia zemlia russkaia. Vospetaia
v sotniakh, tysiachach strokakh! V beskonechnoi, neizmennoi, vechnoi
liubvi k rodnoi zemle priznavalis' Lomonosov i Derzhavin, Pushkin i
Zhukovskii, Lermontov i Nekrasov... Kazalos by, chto mogli dobavit' k
etim vechnym strokam sineglazyi iunosha c pavitkami rusykh volos s
Riazanshchiny." The paper (article?) goes on in this "vostorzhennyi" style
 aboutwhat a "national" poet Yesenin was, how Russian, etc.
        The Gogol paper is written in a less breathless manner and is
basically a description of the various landowners, and how the book shows
the degredation of capitalist society
and the "ostraia kritika krepostnogo prava." (The latter, of course,
are standard cliches of Sov. lit. crit.) The paper begins as follows:
"Kompozitsionnaia struktura Mertvykh dush ves'ma neobychna. Povestvovanie
stroetsja kak istoriia pokhozhdeniia Chichikova. Eto dalo vosmozhnost'
avtore iskolesit' so svoim geroem vmeste "vse ugly i zakoylki russkoi
provintsii." V Mertvykh dushakh Gogol' pokazak sotsial'nye usloviia
zhizni vsei Rossii."
        Thanks in advance for your help! Emily Tall mllemily at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu