what to do about plagiarism by emigres

Emil Draitser edraitse at shiva.Hunter.CUNY.EDU
Sat May 4 11:18:12 UTC 1996

Dear Emily:
That's what we do at Hunter - we have a few hundreds of emigres from
Russia. Choose a specific topic which they would have hard time find in
Soviet books. If this does not help, ask them to retell at least part of
their paper in your office. As a rule, they are incapable of it. The
technique I use with such students, that I tell them that I am not angry
at them, that I understand that the culture they grew up with encouraged
them not to think themsleves. I offer to rewrite the same essay in their
own words and promise not to lower grade if they do an honset job. So
far, it worked with every one of them. They know that they stole it, and
instead of getting F, an opportunity to redeem themselves looks very
attractive to them.
All the best,
Emil