Pre-Revolutionary Books

L.C.J. Jacobson lcj+ at pitt.edu
Mon May 6 21:10:02 UTC 1996

> I am writing on behalf of a colleague who recently inherited some
> pre-revolutionary books from a relative.  The books are works of literature
> such as a jubilee edition set of the works of Tolstoy.  Does anyone know
> what she needs to do to take them out of Russia and bring them to the U.S.,
> or how to get that information?

Your friend will need to inquire at the Russian State Library (the former
Lenin Library).  There is an office affiliated with this institution that
issues export licenses on books and related cultural artifacts.  This
office is located across the street from the main building, but the
information desk near the main entrance will point it out to you.  Take
note that citizens of the RF are received on some days, and foreign
citizens are received on others.

In 1993 I purchased export licenses on a number of Russian reference
works.  It was for the most part a relatively painless process which
involved paying the ruble equivalent of a few dollars per volume in
"export tax."

The tricky part is that regulations on what is subject to export or
taxation upon export is subject to change.  I can tell you that in 1993 I
inquired about exporting a single beat-up copy of Beljaev's 1911 handbook
on reading _skoropis'_, and I was given a mild lecture, the gist of which
was that it would not be possible under any circumstances.

-jake