outcome of plagiarism issue

Emily Tall MLLEMILY at ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
Wed May 8 22:31:20 UTC 1996

I'd like to thank all seelangers who contributed to the discussion on
plagiarism by emigres, especially the gentleman from Monroe Community
College. As a result of your comments, plus my own investigative
abilities honed by long hours watching "Law and Order" and "Prime
Suspect," I got the students to admit that what they wrote was
not really their own work. What was interesting was that they told
me that this is the way they were taught to write. ONe of them
remarked that he also found it difficult to write without digressions
and in the rather dry way they are taught to write essays in the U.S.
In any case, I suggested to both that they read the memoirs of
Shcharansky (whom they hadn't heard of) and Sakharov or Bonner and
write on that. Long live seelangs! Emily Tall