enrollments

Vakareliyska vakarel at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu May 30 23:06:06 UTC 1996

    Re the recent inquiries on enrollments and enrollment-boosting
strategies, I'd like to mention that two subcommittees of the Slavic
Linguistics Task Force associated with AATSEEL are currently working on
both these issues, and we will be presenting findings both at the SLTF
Roundtable at the upcoming AATSEEL conference, and in reports which will be
posted on the AATSEEL webpage. The Subcommittee on Intra-University
Promotion is currently developing a rolling enrollment survey which we plan
to post over SEELANGS regularly on a semester basis, beginning in fall
1996. Semester enrollment figures for courses in all Slavic languages and
in Slavic linguistics from each department that participates in the survey
will be posted on the webpage, so that there will be an opportunity to
compare the present term's enrollments with past terms and years.
Participants in the survey will also have an opportunity to indicate
specific enrollment-boosting strategies which they are using, so that we
can track the success of these strategies over time by comparing enrollment
figures.
        The Intra-University Promotion subcommittee will also be developing
and conducting a market study of selected Slavic departments this summer
and fall, in conjunction with the Marketing Department of the Charles H.
Lundquist School of Business at the University of Oregon. The subcommittee
for promotion of Slavic languages and linguistics outside the university,
which is chaired by Jeanmarie Rouhier-Willoughby, is working on ways of
boosting enrollments and interest in Slavic languages and linguistics
through promotion in the secondary schools, the media, and the community,
as well as over the Internet. I haven't been able to reach Jeanmarie or
Andrew Corin, chair of the SLTF, in the last 24 hours in order to issue a
joint posting about this or to provide more details about the work of
Jeanmarie's subcommittee (it seems they both are out of town), but I think
it will be safe for me to speak for both subcommittees in saying that we
will be happy to discuss our activities and the outcome of these projects
in any AATSEEL forum, and of course we invite everyone to attend the SLTF
Roundtable to hear about them there as well. I know I can also speak for
Jeanmarie in saying that we'd appreciate hearing your ideas and suggestions
(vakarel at oregon.uoregon.edu, jruewilo at ukcc.uky.edu).

Cynthia Vakareliyska
Chair, Subcommittee on Intra-University Promotion
Slavic Linguistics Task Force

C. Vakareliyska                               vakarel at oregon.uoregon.edu
Asst. Professor of Slavic Linguistics                tel: (541) 346-4043
Department of Russian                                fax: (541) 346-1327
University of Oregon
Eugene OR 97403-1262