enrollments

Olga T. Yokoyama OLGA at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU
Thu May 30 23:34:12 UTC 1996

Thank you, Cynthia, for your posting re the SLTF subcommittees.

The latest surge of interest in enrollemnts, in connection with Ben
Rifkin's suggestion to discuss enrollment problems at Vision 2020, is
very encouraging. I do not know how Vision 2020 is run and if its
organizers will be interested in making it available for this
discussion, but some of this will definitely come up at the SLTF
Roundtable, which will report on the activities of its everal
subcommittees this year, including those Cynthia Vakareliyska mentioned
in her posting. There will be a discussion planned after the brief
report. The TF is chaired by Andrew Corin, and my knowledge of the TF as
a whole is rather sketchy at this point, but I thought I'd pitch in with
this info in my capacity as its member while the topic is "hot" and
Andrew seems to be out of town. Enrollment has also been a major concern
for the 2020 people.

Incidentally, there was a call for papers for SLTF RT earlier this
spring, and - rather discouragingly at the time - no-one volunteered an
abstract (as far as I know). "Luchshe pozdno, chem nikogda", but I must
say that it is somewhat disconcerting that a lot of enthusiasm that the
seelangs readership occasionally exhibits regarding various topics close
to our hearts is often a duplication of effort based on lack of
information. It is also unfortunate that the enthusiasm is rarely
followed up to an organized end. I hope that Ben's suggestion is an
exception to this tendency and that he is successful in getting his idea
materialize at one forum or another.

Olga Yokoyama