language query

Nobukatsu Minoura nobum at gol.com
Fri Oct 4 10:10:09 UTC 1996

At 3:54 PM 10/3/96, Michael Burianyk wrote:
> Certainly, in Ukrainian, one can say 'ia hovoriu ykrainskoiu movoiu'.
> Not being an expert, I can't say for certain whether this is the
> analogous construction. On the other hand, though it is correct, it
> isn't as common as 'hovoriu po-ukrainskomu'.

A long time ago in the Soviet time, I used to catch Radio Kyjiv in Tokyo,
Japan.  It used to start with:

Hovoryt' Kyjiv.  Pochynajemo peredachu ukrajinskoju movoju zarubizhnym
slukhachim.  A zaraz novyny.....

I was a Russian major, but I deviated ever since into Native American
languages.  So my Russian is pretty rusty now.  But I was always fascinated
by Ukrainian too.

Nobu

Nobukatsu "Nobu" Minoura
<in the middle of moving from Alaska to Japan>
snail mail address:
     Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
     Nishigahara 4-51-21
     Kita-ku, Tokyo