language query

Nobukatsu Minoura nobum at gol.com
Fri Oct 4 10:10:33 UTC 1996

At 11:35 PM 10/3/96, Alexandra Sosnowski wrote:
> Emily's question about the correctness of "ia govoriu na russkom iazyke"
> reminded me of my late father who always encouraged me to use precisely this
> form rather than "ia govoriu po-russki".  His argument was - "Sachen'ka, a kak
> by ty sprosila?"  Obviously "Na kakom iazyke vy govorite" and not "Kak vy
> govorite?"  Stories apart, as far as I know both forms are grammatically
> correct, only one is used more frequently than the other.

My Russian-Japanese dictionary lists "po-kakovski."  (I forgot which
dictionary and I cannot verify with it because I'm on the road now.)  Is it
ever used?

Nobu

Nobukatsu "Nobu" Minoura
<in the middle of moving from Alaska to Japan>
snail mail address:
     Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
     Nishigahara 4-51-21
     Kita-ku, Tokyo