russian scientists

Stephen Bobick bobick at olympus.darwin.com
Fri Oct 4 17:35:55 UTC 1996

  >>I hope this information is of interest to the profession even though it
  >>doesn't concern seelangers directly.  Olga Kagan

  >SCIENTISTS PROTEST STATE DEBTS. Dozens of Russian scientists have
  >threatened to join two of their colleagues already on a hunger strike
  >if the government does not pay its debt to scientific institutions by 10
  >October, ITAR-TASS reported on 1 October
  [...]

I recently saw a similar report about the Ermitage and other museums in
Russia that have received only a fraction of promised maintenance/upkeep
funds and are in danger of being closed.  This is from memory and may be
inaccurate.  Perhaps someone else has the information handy?  As stated above,
I hope this information is not "off topic"...

-- Stepan Bobyk