Ukrainian and Russian Wordlists (was Re: 1001 Common Russian Terms)

Stephen Bobick bobick at olympus.darwin.com
Sat Oct 12 03:20:41 UTC 1996

  Robert Beard wrote:
  >I was contacted by email this past summer by an engineer-poet, Valerii
  >Bashevoj, from Dubna who is looking for a way to make a contribution to the
  >WWW.  He suggested a dictionary of 1001 Familiar Russian Words which
  >speakers of Russian need to know, but which are not included in
  >dictionaries.
  [...]

I think word lists of high-frequency, commonly-used words would be another
useful resource to have on-line.  For example, I noticed a mention of
"the Moscow University minimum list of 3000" words in some Russian readers I
purchased from "The Russian Packet/Friends School".  This list was also
referred to as "The Lexical Minimum used in Soviet Universities for foreign
students (3300)".  Perhaps this list could be typed in and thrown up on a
web-page somewhere?  Such a list would be a great resource to have on-line,
IMO.  Indeed, smaller word lists could be designed (maybe they already
exist?).  For example a list of 1000 or so words that a student of language X
should learn (first), then the next set of 1000 words, etc.  Of course the
size of each list could be tweaked to whatever size makes sense.  If the
specific set of words in the lists are carefully selected to match frequency
of usage from a variety of sources (newspapers, conversational situations,
poetry, etc.) they could really facilitate getting up to speed fast.

On a related note, I have created several hundred flashcards for both
Ukrainian and Russian verbs.  Specifically I have about 150 Ukrainian verbs
with 150 more close to completion, and about 400 Russian verbs with 100 more
close to completion.  The verbs fit 15 to a page.  The flashcards are
available on postscript documents which can be printed out and copied from
one-sided to two-sided copies (onto card-stock for more durable flashcards).
These two-sided documents can then be cut out using a paper cutter (each card
is 7.2 cm by 5.0 cm).  If anyone is interested using them, drop me a private
note and I'll forward a sample for you to take a look at.

-- Stephen Bobick