Language requirements (was: Advertising Slavic Languages)

Michael Burianyk buri at phys.ualberta.ca
Thu Oct 17 15:21:54 UTC 1996

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Alina Israeli wrote:

> Hello (to those who are still on this subject)!

Very few it seems :-(

> I am not so sure that this is a good idea. Our *department* (not the
> administration) consistently voted it down, because nobody wants to have
> students who do not want to be there.

Why wouldn't they want to be there? I can understand this position to a
certain degree, but I don't fully buy it. They would *have* to take a
language, yes, but they do have a chance to pick the one they find
most interesting. After all, they are required to take other courses
as well.

--
Michael Burianyk               Office: P534B Avahd-Bhatia Physics Lab
Seismology Laboratory          Phone : (403) 492 4128
Edmonton, CANADA T6G 2J1       e-mail: buri at phys.ualberta.ca