Language requirements (was: Advertising Slavic Languages)

Alina Israeli aisrael at american.edu
Wed Oct 16 23:29:32 UTC 1996

Hello (to those who are still on this subject)!

Michael Burianyk wrote:

>is there any possibility that Universities might start requiring more
>rigorous language study?
>
>This would help all language departments, and the slavic languages would
>get their share.
>
>Anyone have any ideas on how to convince University/College administrations
>that this is a good idea?

I am not so sure that this is a good idea. Our *department* (not the
administration) consistently voted it down, because nobody wants to have
students who do not want to be there.

Compare to the GenEd courses. Most people hate teaching them. The math
professors who have a lot of required courses hate them with passion.

I certainly have nothing against everybody's knowing a language or two,
except I do not believe that it can be achieved by implementing college
language requirements. Imagine if ten years ago colleges implemented a
policy of a 100% computer literacy with very few computers available (and
the ratio of language instructors/college population is certainly
inadequate), with massive computer phobia (just try to remember the TV adds
of the time). Yet, now it has been achieved: it starts early, every middle
school or even grammar school has computers and computer classes, and
certainly all parents think it is a worth-while activity.

So, if it is to be done, it has to start early, and have a family support,
and consequently a motivated customer.

Alina