Scanning/Sadko/bogatyr' (fwd)

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Thu Apr 24 04:07:22 UTC 1997

Subject: Re:bogatyr'

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Franklin A. Sciacca wrote:

> A few questions as the semester mercifully draws to a close:
>

> 3.  "Bogatyr'"  Dal' says it is of Tatar origin.  Is this accurate?  No
> relation to Bog, bogatyj, etc. ?

Off the cuff I think it is originally from Iranian, via Tatar in this
case, maybe related to (Farsi(?), Pashto (?); soem type of Iranian
anyway) "bahadur", semantically similar.  As the whole Bog/bogatyj/ubogij
etc. gnezdo is also probably from Iranian, there is a fairly good
possibility that they are related, but then again, maybe not.

Robert Orr