Fw: Scanning

David Powelstock d-powelstock at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 23 21:31:48 UTC 1997

> > >1.  Has anyone had any experience text scanning in Russian?  Is there
> > >software to handle the Cyrillic?

 Recent discussions on another list suggest that *currently* a product
 called FineReader produces far fewer errors in scanning cyrillic than
 Cuneiform (both for Windows).  I am told that Cuneiform is planning a new
 version of its product for the Fall.  The advance hype is that it will be
 roughly as accurate as FineReader is now.  I have not tried either
package.
  (I am waiting until fall, when there will be two commensurate products to
 choose from.)

 Cuneiform OCR 3.0
 Cognitive Technology Corporation
 http://www.ocr.com
 (The package is currently on sale for $99!)

 FineReader OCR
 BIT Software
 http://www.bitsoft.ru

 Cheers,