web addresses

Lynne deBenedette lynne_debenedette at postoffice.brown.edu
Fri Apr 25 19:08:10 UTC 1997

>On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Katerina Krivinkova wrote:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good system for organizing and keeping track of web
>> adresses?

If you use Netscape (2.0 or higher) on a Mac and make bookmarks for
addresses you like, you can:

     Group the bookmarks in folders by topic
     (under the Item menu in Netscape, find Insert Folder to create new
folders).

To keep track of the contents of each bookmark, right after I've made a
bookmark I:

     Open up Bookmark (under the Window menu)
     Drag the newly created bookmark to the appropriate folder (or create a
new one first)
     Select the newly created bookmark
     Open up Edit Bookmark (under the Item menu)

A screen appears that allows you to edit the title of the bookmark (I
frequently change them to make them as clear as possible and distinguish
sites with similar titles) and write in a brief description of what that
address has to offer.

The combination of grouping things in folders and keeping descriptions on
file has helped a lot.

This is what I worked out by trial and error, having never taken a Netscape
class, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I had completely
overlooked some much easier way of doing this.  (If so, don't hesitate to
tell me...)

Lynne deB.

Lynne deBenedette
Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Brown University
Box E, 20 Manning Walk
Providence, RI 02912
(401) 863-7572 or 863-2689 (dept.)