Mezhdunarodnye zvonki

michael neubert mneu at loc.gov
Tue Apr 29 11:20:40 UTC 1997

Hello,

with AT&T so-called World Connect service, it is only important that you
be able to call Moscow directly, which I believe that everyone in Russia
can now do in theory (in reality you may just get a busy signal).

The number in Moscow is 155-5042.  When you call that, you are prompted
(in English) for the number you want to call in the US and for a an AT&T
calling card number (which you have to get before you go).

This way, the call is charged to your US phone bill and not on some hotel
bill or to the local phone you are using (except for the long distance to
Moscow).  My experience, admittedly 1 1/2 years ago, was that the quality
of transmission from places like Samara and Rostov-na-Donu was no better
than the traditional way of direct dialing--but that it was more
convenient not to pay on the spot.

This is not meant as an endorsement of AT&T and there may well be other
even better options.

Regards,

MN

Michael Neubert
Library of Congress                  mneu at loc.gov
European Division                    202  707-3706
Washington, DC  20540-4830           fax  707-8482

The Library of Congress does not claim (or want) responsibility
for opinions expressed by Mr. Neubert.