Russian etiquette

Margaret McKibben mmck at seaccd.sccd.ctc.edu
Mon Aug 11 05:18:05 UTC 1997

What do you do when your friends forget that you have switched over to the
intimate form of address?

Last summer I met a couple in Moscow.  At their suggestion, we went "na
ty".  Since my return to the US, we have corresponded by e-mail in English
and they have sent me an occasional letter in Russian by snail mail. In
the Russian letters they address me "na vy".  There has been absolutely no
incident to change the relationship between us.  We are of approximately
equal age and education.  They are  native speakers, I am not.

What (other than continue to e-mail them in English) do I do?

Margaret McKibben, librarian
North Seattle Community College
mmck at seaccd.sccd.ctc.edu