Russian etiquette

elena levintova elenalev at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 11 05:44:01 UTC 1997

Margaret McKibben wrote:

> What do you do when your friends forget that you have switched over to
> the
> intimate form of address?
>
> Last summer I met a couple in Moscow.  At their suggestion, we went
> "na
> ty".  Since my return to the US, we have corresponded by e-mail in
> English
> and they have sent me an occasional letter in Russian by snail mail.
> In
> the Russian letters they address me "na vy".  There has been
> absolutely no
> incident to change the relationship between us.  We are of
> approximately
> equal age and education.  They are  native speakers, I am not.
>
> What (other than continue to e-mail them in English) do I do?
>
> Margaret McKibben, librarian
> North Seattle Community College
> mmck at seaccd.sccd.ctc.edu

 Such things can sometimes happen when people are not sure if you
remember how close you used to be. You just write them a letter saying
that you used to be "na ty" and that you really enjoyed their friendship
and the time you had together. Ask them specifically to continue to call
you "na ty". Say something nice and warm.