paid (?) internship

Alina Israeli aisrael at american.edu
Fri Aug 22 21:46:39 UTC 1997

>Calling attention to standard governmental policies regarding pay for
>interns,  Alina Israeli wrote  "Well, most of them are free. Washington DC
>runs on free labour."  Interesting how US government and American
>universities, so frequently at loggerheads, find common ground in this
>respect.

No, not the government and not the universities to my knowledge, for them,
I believe, it may be illegal. But the rest of Washington (private and
public, for ex. foreign embassies, very coveted positions) does. The issue,
though, im my opinion, is not that the internships are free
(student-teachers work for free for a year, and there exist diffrent types
of "stazhirovka's", which finds its predessesor in French and in France),
but rather that it polarizes even more the haves and have-nots. (Please, do
not remind me of Marx and Lenin.)
Alina Israeli