_polbanka_ [sic.] ?

Loren A. BILLINGS billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Aug 25 21:13:08 UTC 1997

Dear colelagues,

In connection with my previous queries about _pol_ "1/2" (and my
forthcoming summary to this list thereof), I've come across the following
item:

polb'anka/polb'anki (sl)--pollitrovaja banka vodki --half-liter bottle of vodka

This (verbatim) is an entry on page 563 of the following dictionary:

     ZALUCKY, Henry K. (1991)  _Compressed Russian.  Russian-
          English dictionary of acronyms, semiacronyms and
          other abbreviations used in contemporary standard
          Russian._  Amsterdam:  Elsevier.

I've encountered _polbanki_ before, but _polbanka_ seems to me (and my
informants) to be totally unfamiliar.  Has anyone out there encountered it,
by chance?

Best,  --Loren Billings <billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de>