Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Ernest Scatton escatton at cnsvax.albany.edu
Tue Dec 2 17:42:28 UTC 1997

When I said that quitting the MLA was the most constructive thing one
could do, I was being ironic. But, the fact is: MLA has simply shown no
willingness whatsoever to negotiate/compromise. In the meantime, as many
have pointed out, many AATSEEL members are dragged to wherever MLA meets.
There are not a few Slavicists who, in fact, have given up on the AATSEEL
meeting as well because of the timing. Put aside the costs of attending
oneself and what institutions will pay: how many colleagues with children
are going (1) to be willing year after year to absorb the costs of taking
the whole family or (2) to be willing year after year to spend the time
between Christmas and New Years away? For myself, when my kids left home
and began coming back because they got a break from school or work at this
time, I started thinking twice about taking off.

Ernest Scatton                                                  Slavic Hum254
518-442-4224 (w)                                               UAlbany (SUNY)
518-482-4934 (h)                                                    Albany NY
518-442-4217 (fax)                                                      12222
               http://alpha1.albany.edu/~alin220/slav_dept (WWW)