Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Jerry Ervin 76703.2063 at compuserve.com
Tue Dec 2 18:34:15 UTC 1997

Two comments to the most worthy posting of Francoise Rosset to this
discussion:

1)  MLA (hence, AATSEEL) will be in San Francisco in 1998.

2)  I have been assured by the MLA that it is *not* the case that one (say,
a grad student) must register for MLA in order to be interviewed there.
Exactly what the mechanics are, I do not know.  But David Goldberg of
MLA/ADFL tells me that anyone who tells a guard (monitor, whatever the
right term is) at MLA that s/he need access only to the interview area, and
that only for a specific duration, such access will be granted.  (It
remains to be seen if that will happen.  It was supposed to be the case in
Washington last year, too.)

Speaking personally, it would seem to me that any department that plans to
interview a candidate--whether at AATSEEL or AAASS or MLA or anywhere
else--would take it upon itself to ensure that the candidate would have
ready access to the interview site, and once there be greeted hospitably
and treated professionally, not only by the interviewing committee, but
also by anyone else the interviewee might encounter (say, MLA guards or
other representatives).  And if that did not happen, I (as a department
representative trying to make a good impression on a potential candidate)
would raise the roof with the offending organization or party.

Regards,

Jerry Ervin