Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Andrew Hicks ah69 at columbia.edu
Tue Dec 2 18:19:59 UTC 1997

        Although I tend to think of the MLA as the academic equivalent of
a severe cold, I'd like to put to rest fears of geographic discrimination.

        Two months ago I was discussing the Toronto-in-December issue with
a staff member of the MLA who, incidentally, is a Slavist by training.  It
turns out the number of potential convention cities is smaller than you
probably think.  First, many cities don't have enough convention space to
hold the MLA--Boston, for example, is too small.  Of those that are
sufficiently capacious, some are too expensive.
        Second, the MLA meets at a time when many people want to vacation
in a warmer locale.  Hotels make more money per vacationer than per
conventioneer, so those that can house people retail pass up the wholesale
market.  So many of you in the West and South lose out due to your
pleasant climate.

        According to my MLA mole, this leaves only about five possible
cities.  Toronto and Washington are two, and I forget the other three.
New York used to be on the list, but too many tourists come here now.