Ne AATSEELom edinym: SLAVIC at MLA!

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Thu Dec 4 06:20:04 UTC 1997

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Andrew Hicks wrote:

>         Although I tend to think of the MLA as the academic equivalent of
> a severe cold, I'd like to put to rest fears of geographic discriminati>
   Second, the MLA meets at a time when many people want to vacation
> in a warmer locale.  Hotels make more money per vacationer than per
> conventioneer, so those that can house people retail pass up the wholesale
> market.  So many of you in the West and South lose out due to your
> pleasant climate.

I suppose it all depends on your perspective.  For those of who've been
tooling around northern latitudes all our lives (and have never been
 further south than Washington (that's well into the tropics on this
side of the Atlantic; on the other side they begin at Manchester, or Minsk
further east). Toronto's quite balmy in winter, thank you.

Robert Orr