Czech dictionaries

Tim Beasley tbeasley at ucla.edu
Fri Dec 5 18:46:25 UTC 1997

Servus.

>Would anyone be able to recommend any good RECENT
> Czech-English dictionaries (or Czech tolkovnye slovari) published in the
>Czech Republic?

I wouldn't highly recommend it (some of the translations are a bit, well,
quirky) and it's missing grammatical information (while providing some
clues to disambiguate translations and stylistic levels) but Josef Fronek's
dictionary "C^esko-anglicky' slovni'k, pub. by SPN has served.

Poldauf's dictionary was recommended to me when I was in Prague and Brno a
few years back, but it wasn't available anywhere.  Unless it's been
revised, it's not so recent.

Better than Fronek, but monolingual, is Academia's Slovni'k spisovne'
c^es^sky' pro s^kolu a ver^ejnost.  The second edition is out, and it's
good for a lot of things.

Fallback dictionary is the not-so-recent 4 (or 8) volume Slovni'k
spisovne'ho jazyka c^es^ske'ho and a few recent specialized tomes
(technical dictionaries, library science, "slang").

If there are better recent Czech-English dictionaries available, I'd
appreciate hearing about them!

Tim Beasley
grad student, UCLA
tbeasley at ucla.edu