HELP for Russ Lit

Alina Israeli aisrael at american.edu
Sun Mar 2 16:45:39 UTC 1997

I also would like to see Klanderud's list. However, it seems to me that
lately academia is perilously trying to emulate business. The terms
"streamlining", "lean and mean", "run like a corporation" are more and more
common. The scandal at Adelphi only underscores the problem. The
administration at Adelphi calls faculty "leasure of the theory class" and
claims that they don't work, but instead have a second job. I cannot verify
these facts, but it seems quite possible; Adelphi is not a rich
institution, and if the president is paid 800,000 (second highest in the
country) where would they get enough money to pay a decent salary to the
faculty?

Doesn't is sound more like the recent Mickey Mouse deal?

Alina Israeli