Scanning Russian manuscripts

Irina Mess-Baehr SLBAEHR at VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
Sun Mar 2 18:33:23 UTC 1997

I am completing a book manuscript that has to be submitted in
camera-ready copy. The manuscript is about 365 pages typescript.
We have tried to scan it onto a computer using an Apple Scanner
and various optical scanning programs but have been having serious
problems. (We are getting results, but with a 25% error rate.)
The ultimate goal is to translate the scanned manuscript into
Russian Word Perfect or Microsoft Word. All of our scanners at the
university are connected to Apple computers.

If anyone has had experience scanning a Russian manuscript
and/or preparing camera-ready copy by computer, I'd greatly
appreciate any advice as to specific programs, downloading possibilities
for trial or freeware, cost of program, etc.

Thanks very much.
         Irina Mess-Baehr