Blue Devillishness

clark troy mct7 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 10 22:18:02 UTC 1997

Recently, in conversation with a colleague, I chanced to learn that, with
no fanfare whatsoever, the Slavics Dept. at Duke had suffered a fate
similar to that of Cornell's.  I am not clear on exactly what happens, but
it seems that the graduate program (of relatively recent vintage) has been
disbanded, that Thomas Lahusen has left, and that one junior colleague
will be saved by being transferred to the Graduate Program in Literature.

I may be quite confused on this matter.  Is anyone else in possession of
more details?  This is the kind of thing that those of us scraping away at
dissertations would like to hear about, depressing as they may be.

Clark Troy
Columbia University
Dept. of Slavic Languages
www.soros.org/central_eurasia.html