Webgods

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at ualberta.ca
Fri May 2 22:35:47 UTC 1997

>I have followed with some interest various occasional discussions about
>what is on someone's web server and how it can be accessed.
>
>Generally speaking, does anyone use the Web regularly in classroom
>instruction or on research?  If yes, how. If no, why?
>
>Any comments would be much appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Ruth Wallach
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is one instructional use I know of:

A colleague (Ehud Ben Zvi)  teaches Introduction to Religions of the World
(Freshman course) and uses the WWW for assignments adding up to a
significant part of the course grade. Fortunately for him, most of the
world's religious sects - at least, those with followers in North America,
which is very many! - have home pages with details of their beliefs,
practices, holy days, and so on; so all Ehud has to do is provide a list of
links on his own "course home page" to save the students' cruising time, to
so speak, and he can let the religious groups speak for themselves.

I am preparing a course to be called "Minority Languages - Cutlures in
Peril?" and was hoping to follow Ehud's example, but only a few minority
language groups have set themselves up with home pages yet, so that idea is
on hold. (The one I work with has, but then one's own group is always
better, kaj ne?)

Any other ideas out there?
Tom Priestly

*  Tom Priestly
*  (President, Society for Slovene Studies)
*  Modern Languages and Comparative Studies
*  University of Alberta
*  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E6

*  telephone:   403 - 492 - 4219
*  fax:                403 - 492 - 2715