SEEJ-Tolstoy's major work-first time in English-I am looking for book reviewers

Peter Sekirin psekirin at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 6 05:20:03 UTC 1997

Dear SEELangers,

I am looking for someone to review my recent translation from Russian:
THE CALENDAR OF WISDOM by Leo Tolstoy. (tranls. by Peter Sekirin)
(Rus. title:  Krug Chteniia)
Scribner, November 1997. 387p. $20.00 ISBN 0-684-83793-5
Available in major bookstores- For a review copy please
send a fax on a letterhead to FAX: 416-485-2445
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ENGLISH,  THE LAST MAJOR WORK BY LEO TOLSTOY!
        Created by one of the world's best novelists as a guide
for moral living, this beautiful treasure offers, as Tolstoy wrote,
"a wise thought for every day of the year, from the greatest
philosophers of all times and peoples."  About 1,000 thoughts were
created by Tolstoy himself in 1903-1910 and are dedicated to love,
faith, kindness, knowledge, sacrifice, family, meditation, prayer, etc.
        Practically banned during the years of the Soviet regime
for numerous quotes from the sacred texts of every major
world religion, it is again published in Russia. Tolstoy wrote about it:
"This is about the meaning of life, a good way of life."
   It is better to know a few things which are good and necessary
than many things which are useless and mediocre. -- Tolstoy
   You should study more to understand that you know little. --Monaigne
   The reason for rage is always inside of you. -- Tolstoy
   Bad books is a moral poison which dulls your intelllect. --Shopenhauer
   Light remains light, even if a blind man cannot see it. -- Tolstoy
Please do not hesitate to contact me, and thank you very much for your
attention.

Peter Sekirin
PhD Candidate

phone: (416) 485-2445