Enrollment/attrition problems

Adonica Ann Sendelbach asendelb at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Mon Nov 10 20:46:46 UTC 1997

Dear SEELANGERS,
I am in the process of collecting information for an AATSEEL conference
presentation regarding ways to increase enrollments/slow attrition.  Here
at OSU we've used "sampler classes," a one-hour (one-time, free)
introduction to Russian during which participants learn most of the
alphabet and a short dialogue in addition to reading some cognates and a
McDonald's menu.  I would be extremely grateful to find out:

1)  Who out there has used classes similar to our sampler classes to
attract students?  Please describe what the class/classes were like and to
what extent they helped increase enrollments.  Feel free to include any
information on how you advertised such classes and how the participants
responded to the sessions.

2)  What other means have you used to address the problem of trying to
increase enrollments/decrease attrition?  For example, some schools have
developed business Russian classes to accomodate the number of business
students interested in Russian or the U of Wisconsin has slowed the pace of
grammar in its beginning levels to decrease its rate of attrition.

Please feel free to send along anecdotal information although any
statistical information regarding enrollment increases/attrition decreases
would be especially welcome!  Also, I would appreciate it if you could
print out this message for any of your colleagues who don't use e-mail.

Please reply off-line to sendelbach.1 at osu.edu.  For those who are
interested in this topic and won't be attending AATSEEL (or won't be able
to attend my presentation), I could forward a summary of comments
received--at a later date--if you let me know you'd like one.

Thank you in advance!
Dr. Donnie Sendelbach
The Ohio State University
sendelbach.1 at osu.edu