Editing Cyrillic in html

Slava Paperno sp27 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:30:04 UTC 1997

Good news for people who make Web pages that contain Cyrillic.

One of the problems when editing Cyrillic text in an HTML editor under
Windows or Macintosh (such as MS Word with Internet Assistant, or Netscape
Gold, or Netscape Composer, or all Macintosh editors that I've tried) is
that Cyrillic letters are not saved properly. These editors call them
"extended characters" and automatically convert them into the so-called
"HTML entities," strings that begin with an ampersand. E.g., the capital
letter B (second letter in the alphabet) is converted to this
eight-character string: Á

This causes two probems: 1) your files and Web pages become eight times as
large, 2) when you open your files in a text editor, you can't even read
them, and so they become useless for any other purpose.

I've now found an HTML editor that will not mangle your files in this way.
It even has a menu command that converts all &-strings back to Cyrillic, so
if you have any mangled files, you can now restore them.

The editor is called Homesite 3.0, and you can download an evaluation
version from:

http://www.allaire.com/

(No, I'm not a salesman for Allaire, I'm just another user.)

Slava