Editing in html

L. C. J. Jacobson jacobson at gte.net
Tue Nov 25 17:06:37 UTC 1997

>         Unfortunately, all these beautiful letters are not available by
just
> one code, and we would be eager to learn whether there are any
possibilities
> to write texts in html with mixing characters from the following codes
>                 ISO 8859-1 (Western European)
>                 ISO 8859-2 (Eastern European)
>                 ISO 8859-4 (Baltic)
>                 ISO 8859-5 (Cyrillic).

It is possible, although your visitors will need a properly configured
Unicode-aware browser to view all of these simultaneously.   Many visitors
using who-knows-which version of who-knows-which browser will get
unpredictable results on these type of pages.

For background, you might want to read RFC 2070 "Internationalization of
the Hypertext Markup Language," as well as some of the W3's
internationalization materials at <http://www.w3.org/International/>.  Also
take a look at materials on the Alis Tango browser <http://www.alis.com>
for a commercial angle.  There's also a gentleman named Alan Flavell who
has a number of interesting Web pages on internationalization issues at
<http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/iso8859/>.

> We want to know whether there are appropriate EDITORS to do this job. We
> need to WRITE and to PUBLISH (i.e. SAVE) them on the web.

A sophisticated (hopefully scriptable) text editor should make the task
easier.

-jake
L.C.J. Jacobson                                  jacobson at gte.net