teaching russian culture

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 25 17:09:36 UTC 1997

FORWARDED FROM ANOTHER LIST:

Date:    Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:10:09 -0500
From:    Donald B Walton <waltonsdnp at juno.com>
Subject: TEACHING RUSSIAN CULTURE

I am doing research on current methodologies for teaching Russian culture
in the post-Soviet era as part of secondary school Russian language
curriculum.  However, I have found very little scholarly discussion on
the subject.  Whereas we tended to concentrate on traditional Russian
culture during Soviet times to de-emphasize the effects of communism, my
thesis is that we must now integrate discussion of the effects the Soviet
era had on the modern Russian psyche to do justice to both our students
and the Russian people.  Can anyone out there point me to some
authoritative sources?
Thanks,
Don Walton
waltonsdnp at juno.com