Lukashenka stages New attacks on our language!

KatkouskiV KatkouskiV at praguemail.rferl.org
Tue Aug 4 18:08:45 UTC 1998

>Whether Belarusan is a different language from Russian or not is a purely
>political matter. Linguists may find similarities/differences between

As a person who has deep respect for languages per se, I just can not
accept the above statement, and hence I wrote the previous message... BUT,
but in principle you are right -- governments/authorities use language
issues for their political ends (just like they do with many other issues).
You can, similarly, announce to Bulgarians that they use Old Russian,
and they should switch to the contemporary Russian and implement appropriate
language reform, right?

 Uladzimir Katkouski
       e-mail: KatkouskiV at praguemail.rferl.org
h-page: http://www.aubg.bg/cj/~vlk960/