Two queries about Polish usage

KEVIN CHRISTIANSON KCHRISTIANS at tntech.edu
Thu Aug 13 17:53:00 UTC 1998

Dear Seelangers:

I understand the major uses of przepraszam (excuse me, I'm sorry, please,
etcetera), but I don't understand the differences between that all-purpose word
and przykro mi and wybacz mi.  I've heard the former used in the chorus of a
song by Lady Pank or Perfect, and the latter was used in the Polish subtitles
to THE FULLY MONTY, when a character said, po angielsku,  "I'm sorry."  Are
przykro mi and wybacz mi interchangeable, is one more commonly used than the
other, more formal, more emotional (in the sense of begging for forgiveness?

My other question is more complicated, I fear. I know the verbs [po]myslec,
sadzec, przypuszczac, uwazac, byc ciekawym, dziwic, czuczyc, obawiac, watpic,
zalowac, etcetera, but I'm not always sure which
Polish verb or expression to use for the following English expressions:

I think that
I feel that
I believe that
I guess that
I suppose that
I imagine that
I wonder if/why
I'm curious whether
I'm surprised that
I doubt that
I'm convinced that
I wish that
I regret that [I wish I could, but I'm unable to

In colloquial English I think/feel/believe are sometimes interchangeable, or at
least two of the three might be in many situations, so I suspect that some of
these Polish verbs may also be near-equivalents, while others may not,
depending on the level of formality or context which my dictionaries and
textbooks don't provide information about.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Kevin

PS I just returned from attending the July summer session at Sopocka Szkola
Jezyka Polskiego, and highly recommend the school to anyone with a serious
interest in learning Polish and who, like me, doesn't have ready access to
Polish language courses or a large community of native speakers. Bardzo
dziekuje to those Seelangers who recommended this school to me when I sent out
my initial query about intensive summer Polish language study
three or four months ago.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kevin Christianson, Ph.D                <<KCHRISTIANS at tntech.edu>>
English Department / Box 5053 / Tennessee Tech University / Cookeville, TN 38505

owoc owocuje w smierci / kwiatu / my tez
  a fruit matures in the death / of a flower / so do we --Malgorzata Misiewicz
Czech novelist Milan Kundera's comments on  Czech poet Jaroslav Seifert,
1984 Nobel Prize winner: "In 1969, when the Russian horror was battering the
country...[t]his little nation, trampled and doomed--how could it possibly
justify its existence? There before us was the justification: the poet, heavy,
with his crutches leaning against the table; the poet, the tangible expression
of the nation's genius."