good books on Russian orthography?

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at yt.cache.waseda.ac.jp
Sat Feb 28 04:03:49 UTC 1998

Hello,
I am at the moment editing a book published in 1929 in Lenigrad and
am wondering how I could possibly decide the right spelling at that
time. The only reference I have at hand is Slovar' Russkogo Jazyka by
Ushakov, but I am not sure whether Ushakov is "right". Are there good
books that I can determine the "correct" spelling as of 1929? The
spelling  in question are:

          vse-ravno(vse ravno), zoloto-serebrenikov(zolotoserebrenikov),
          karandashem(karandashom), na-avos'(na avos'), na-net (na net),
          nemenee(ne menee), nemogushchee(ne mogushchee),
          nenormal'nostjakh (ne normal'nostjakh),
          nepokushaemsja(ne pokushaemsja), poka-chto(poka chto),
          rezko-otricatel'no(rezko otricatel'no),
          tol'ko-chto(tol'ko chto), khozhjajnichanie(khozjajnichan'e),
          Gel'singforskij (gel'singforsskij)
The spelling in brackets looks right according to Ushakov.
I am asking all this because I want to know whether I will be changing
oldish spelling to the contemporary, or just correcting typographic errors.

In connection with "gel'singforskij", I understand "odesskij" is correct,
because "odessskij" would be unnatural in the sense that Germans do not do so.
But has any of you seen word division like odess-skij, melekess-skij,
talass-skij, vann-nyj, pjatitonn-nyj,ras-ssorit'ja? My theory on Russian
hyphenation rules is based on the assumption that Russsians learnt the
art from the Germans, hence I need evidence of "odess-
kij". I don't think it least probable that you would find evidence from
very new publications (i.e. after 1918) for this.

Cheers,
Tsuji