Slavic vs. Slavonic

Loren A. BILLINGS billings at rz.uni-leipzig.de
Sun Jan 4 17:16:40 UTC 1998

Bob BEARD wrote:

>I don't know anything about the etymology.   The Russian word is
>'slavyanskii' which may have suggested 'Slavonic'.  The underlying
>stem is 'slav-' meaning 'glory' (quite a distance from the English words
>'slave' and 'slob' derived from it).

Actually, one book calls into question the 'glory' etymology of this word.
I don't recall the title (something like "The origin of the Slavic
languages," published circa 1950), but the author's name is William Hazzard
CROSS.  More recent works might have shed light on this issue, but I know
of none.  --LAB