(Fwd) Old Russian religious terminology

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 23 00:09:43 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues:

I am passing this letter on to our members. Could someone help Prof.
Znamesnki?

Yours,

Benjamin

Date:          Thu, 22 Jan 1998 14:54:40 -0800
From:          "Andrei A. Znamenski" <aznamen2 at asu.alasu.edu>
To:            sher07 at bellsouth.net
Subject:       Old Russian religious terminology

Dear Benjamin:

I found your address on H-net. I am wondering if you )as a translator)
can help me resolve one question.  Now I am translating diaries of
Russian missionaries to Alaskan natives (end of the 19th century
-beginning of the 20 century) and I have to deal with elaborated Russian
Orthodox religious terminology.  For example, many missionary letter to
their superiors start with such standard expression like
"Visokopochtenneishii," "Blagochinnii," "Arkhipastir," and many other
words including such common one like "moleben," "cluzhit' chasi" (to
serve the Hours) and so forth. Sometimes I do not know how to convey
these expresisons into English.  Are you afmiliar by any chance with some
dictinary of Russian-English religious terminology or not necessarily
such editions, but some sources where I can pull out this information.
Thank you for your attention.
With warm regards,
Andrei A. Znamenski
Assistant Professor of History