No subject

Michael Yadroff myadroff at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 27 19:33:36 UTC 1998

Dear SEELANGers,

So far I've only got three replies to my question about
approximative inversion in Old Russian but none
had an answer. Anyway I really appreciate inputs from
Jurij Lotoshko, Igor' Boguslavskij, and Sannikov.

Now my question is about Modern Russian and is addressed
rather not to linguists but to native Russians.

Today in a certain E-R dictionary I encountered  a word
_polceny_ (as a translation of E. _half-price_) with
grammatical info (noun, feminine). This is evidently
incorrect. It's impossible to say something like:

*dostupnaja polceny

But... could it be used as a non-predicative noun at all?
And couls it be used with any modifier at all?

What comes to my mind first is adverbial expressions like

za polceny/ v polceny

And even in these adverbials, is it possible to say the following?

On otdal emu etu vesc' za polceny, vpolne dostupnye dlja nego v etoj situacii.

As for me, it sounds (at least) awkward to me.

I'd appreciate any judgements and opinions about sentences with _polceny_.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Misha

Michael Yadroff
Linguistics Department  and     Dept. of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Memorial Hall 322               Ballantine Hall 502
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
myadroff at indiana.edu