No subject

Irena Ustinova ipustino at syr.edu
Wed Jan 28 13:03:51 UTC 1998

At 02:33 PM 1/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear SEELANGers,
>
>So far I've only got three replies to my question about
>approximative inversion in Old Russian but none
>had an answer. Anyway I really appreciate inputs from
>Jurij Lotoshko, Igor' Boguslavskij, and Sannikov.
>
>Now my question is about Modern Russian and is addressed
>rather not to linguists but to native Russians.
>
>Today in a certain E-R dictionary I encountered  a word
>_polceny_ (as a translation of E. _half-price_) with
>grammatical info (noun, feminine). This is evidently
>incorrect. It's impossible to say something like:
>
>*dostupnaja polceny
>
>But... could it be used as a non-predicative noun at all?
>And couls it be used with any modifier at all?
>
>What comes to my mind first is adverbial expressions like
>
>za polceny/ v polceny

I think these adverbial expressions are the only possible in Russian language.
The only modifier that comes to my mind is:
On otdal emu etu vesc' za vsego-navsego ( only) polceny.

>And even in these adverbials, is it possible to say the following?
>
>On otdal emu etu vesc' za polceny, vpolne dostupnye dlja nego v etoj situacii.

Grammatically this sentence is correct, but I think the context of the

On otdal emu etu vesc' za polceny, i pokupatel' byl rad deshevoy pokupke.