SEELANGS Administrivia - (was Re: new here-just checking)

Alex Rudd AHRJJ at CUNYVM.BITNET
Thu Jul 16 15:08:21 UTC 1998

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:47:44 +0400 Yurij.Lotoshko said:
>As attach - zip file with one my program about russan syllables

Dear SEELANGers,

I know it's been awhile since I've posted to the list and more than a year
since I've posted on the topic of posting to the list.  This won't take too
long and I beg a few minutes of your time to read this message.

Thirteen months ago, in response to a request from Benjamin Sher, I posted
to SEELANGS a list of policies taken from one of my other LISTSERV lists.
Those policies don't apply to SEELANGS at this time, but I think some of you
found them useful as they were really just a codification of netiquette and
common sense.

Given Yurij Lotoshko's latest post, to which he attached the file
Russyll.zip, I thought you might like to see the most recent addition to our
policies on that other list.  Here it is:

--- Begin ---

Policy Regarding Attachments And Encoded Messages
When sending messages to XXXXXX-L, please use only plain ascii text.  Do not
attach executables or files, including images or sounds.  Do not format your
messages in base64, MIME, or html.  Such formatting and use of attachments
may result in the archival of great amounts of unnecessary text, which is a
waste of our resources, and not all subscribers use mail clients capable of
decoding such things.  List members who use Microsoft's Outlook Express
should pay special attention, as the default formatting with that program is
text/html, and a manual change in its configuration must be made prior to
posting to the list.

--- End ---

In this case, Yurij's text message was only a few lines long, but his
attachment comprised over 600 lines of "garbage" text which many of you
could not decode.  A better strategy would have been for Yurij to post
announcing the availability of the file and those interested could have
written him directly.  (I'm not trying to pick on Yurij, either.  I'm just
using him as an example as it was his post which sparked this reply from
me.)

I'm going to append below my entire original message from thirteen months
ago in case some of you would like to read it (again).  For the most part,
everything I wrote is still true.  However, one thing of which you should be
aware:  Robert Whittaker, the original list owner for SEELANGS, has returned
and is assisting me with the administration of the list.  Neither one of us
has very much time, but we're both available to help with problems and
questions related to SEELANGS and LISTSERV and its commands.  For those of
you who have web access and would like to review the LISTSERV user's guide
(a manual designed for the average list subscriber), you can find it at the
following URL:

http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/userindex.html

You can reach me and Robert at the following address:

SEELANGS-Request at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Thanks.

- Alex Rudd, list owner of SEELANGS
  seelangs-request at cunyvm.cuny.edu