Trouble at Australian National University

Robert Beard rbeard at bucknell.edu
Thu Jul 30 01:45:17 UTC 1998

I received the following e-mail from the Russky Kruzhok at ANU and thought
others on this list might be interested.  The Web site is informative.
Those of you who do not take advantage of the web may write Vice Chancellor
of ANU,  Prof R Deane Terrell <Vice-Chancellor at anu.edu.au>, and the Dean of
the Arts Faculty, Prof Paul Thom.  The general address of ANU is:
                               The Australian National
                                   University
                                Canberra, ACT 0200
                                  AUSTRALIA

--Bob

To: rbeard at bucknell.edu
Subject: Kruzhok in Australia

As a fellow Kruzhok person (albeit on the other side of the world), you
may be interested to hear of the happenings with Russian at the
Australian National University, in Canberra.

Basically we have a hostile dean, manufactured funding shortfalls etc.,
and the upshot is that Russian is to be abolished at the ANU with people
half way through degrees. Kruzhok formed itself to try and save Russian
- we would be grateful if you could make your members aware of the
situation and ask them to bombard our Vice Chancellor with mail, arguing
the case for Russian.

A run down on the situation is available at our web site:

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Field/6168/kruzhok.htm

Thanks,

Stuart Gregory
Secretary, Kruzhok.

Robert Beard, Director . . . rbeard at bucknell.edu
Russian & Linguistics Programs . . . 717-524-1336
Bucknell University . . . http://www.bucknell.edu/~rbeard/diction.html
Lewisburg, PA 17837 . http://www.bucknell.edu/departments/russian