Russian Pedagogical Institutes vs Universities

Irena Ustinova ipustino at syr.edu
Mon Jun 1 16:35:28 UTC 1998

Traditionally, Russian Universities were considered higher in status than
Pedagogical Institutes. So Universities were always under the authority of
MINVUZ, and PI- together with schools- under MINOB&bPROFOb. Now many
insitutes try to get a University status, as there is a fear that many
budget organizations will be cut and Institutes will be dissolved or merged
with the existing Universities. I'll be happy to answer any questions on
Higher Education of Russia. I am also the author of the Dictionary of Higher
Education Terms:
http.www.maxwell.syr.edu/gai/gai/Projects/Projects/Dictionary/Dictionary/htm
so you can refer to this Dictionary also.

Sincerely,
Irena Ustinova