American film from Russian title

Rinat Bulgakov dbulgak at pop3.utoledo.edu
Mon Jun 22 22:22:30 UTC 1998

Memories, memories...

I saw this movie when I was in my early teens,in the city of Ufa,
Russia, (about 25 years ago), and I still remember it!
As you will notice, the title has not been changed a bit.
Although Soviet authorities had a nasty habit not only changing movie
titles, but also changing  dialogues... Even cutting off whole episodes,
in order for the movie to be politically correct...I am not mentioning
"sexy" episodes...

Anyways, Internet movie database gave me the following info:

                        Sandpit Generals, The (1971)

                              USA 1971 Color

Language:  English
Runtime:
USA:102
Distributed by:
American International Pictures (AIP) [us] (1972, US)

Also Known As:
     Wild Pack, The (1972) (USA)
     Defiant, The (1971)

Directed by
Hall Bartlett

Cast (in credits order)
Kent Lane           .... Bullet
Tisha Sterling      .... Dora

Rest of cast listed alphabetically

Dorival Caymmi      .... John Adam
Ademar Da Silva     .... Big John
Aloysio De Oliveira .... Chancellor
Marc De Vries       .... Dry Turn
Jimmy Fraser        .... Dora's Brother
Freddie Gedeon      .... Almiro
William Hobson      .... Rich Man
Guilherme Lamounier .... The Cat
Macio               .... Ezequiel
Creusa Millet       .... Voodoo Priestess
Butch Patrick       .... No Legs
Eliana Pittman      .... Dalvah
Alejandro Rey       .... Fr. Jose Pedro
John Rubinstein     .... Professor
Marisa Urban        .... Rich Woman

Written by
Jorge Amado    (story)
Hall Bartlett

Cinematography by
Ricardo Aronovich

Film Editing by
Marshall M. Borden

Produced by
Hall Bartlett

Other crew
Marshall M. Borden       .... production supervisor
Gilberto Marquez         .... make-up supervisor
Louis Oliveira           .... musical arranger
                              music supervisor
                              conductor
Gilbert E. Plenty        .... sound
Gaylin P. Schultz        .... production co-ordinator
Thereza Pinto de Azevedo .... wardrobe supervisor

                       Sandpit Generals, The (1971)