seeking innovative Internet uses in Central, Eastern Europe (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Thu Jun 25 20:17:32 UTC 1998

FYI

Devin P Browne
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:02:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Margot Emery <memery at utk.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <civilsoc at SOLAR.RTD.UTK.EDU>
Subject: seeking innovative Internet uses in Central, Eastern Europe

I'm hoping listmembers can help me identify instances of innovative Internet
use in Central and Eastern Europe.

Specifically I'm searching for examples of how people have used the
technology to influence or reshape social and political power structures
in their nation or across the region.  This includes using the Internet to
create new partnerships and alliances that have influence, in creating
freenets or civicnets that provide access to those who would not have it
otherwise, or perhaps to give voice to citizens during government media
shutdowns, as with the protests in Belgrade during the winter of 1995-96.

All ideas and thoughts are most welcome. Thanks.

Margot Emery
Publications Editor
The Tennessee Agricultural Experiment Station
423.974.7362 - voice
423.974-9433 - fax
http://web.utk.edu/~utia

Intimidate. Dominate. Celebrate. -- Chicago Bulls' 3Peat Repeat

     |  CivilSoc is an electronic news and information service  |
     |  provided free of charge to 1,200 subscribers worldwide. |
     |  CivilSoc is a project of the Center for Civil Society   |
     |  International (ccsi at u.washington.edu) in Seattle, in    |
     |  association with Friends & Partners.  For more informa- |
     |  tion about civic initiatives in nations of the former   |
     |  USSR and elsewhere, visit CCSI's web site at:           |
     |         http://www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/           |