History of Langauge Sciences, once again

Tom Priestly tom.priestly at ualberta.ca
Mon May 11 19:54:04 UTC 1998

Dear colleagues,
You will recall my turning to this list for help early in March, when the
editors of  the planned book "History of the Language Sciences,"to be
published by de Gruyter, New York were looking for someone to write the
article on Josef Dobrovsky. - Many of you were very helpful (including
Edward Keenan!), and I hereby thank you all.

Now I have had another request. The contracted author for  article 75,
"Greek influence on Old Church Slavonic linguistics" was Prof. Olexa
Horbatsch, but he unfortunately passed away.

When queried as to the context for, and  the meaning of the title of, this
article, one of the editors, Konrad Koerner, wrote to me thus:

        " . . . . About your question re the article  on Greek
        influence on OCS. If you look at the chapter XI, it reads "The
        Establishment of Linguistics in Greece", and toward the end, it has
        articles on Greek (linguistics) influence in Georgian, Armenian,
and (Old
        Church) Slavic linguistics. So this article is supposed to
        trace the Greek heritage on those non-Greek grammars, etc."

As I understand it, then, this piece would look at descriptions of OCS,
especially the  early ones (19th-C),  and see to what extent they were
influenced by extant grammars of (Byzantine and) Classical Greek, and how
these in turn derived from the Classical Greek grammarians (Thrax, and his
ilk).

So once again, please send me - off list - the names / addresses, e-mails
&c. of any potential authors. I will put them in touch with the editors.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Priestly

*  Tom Priestly
*  President, Society for Slovene Studies
*  Modern Languages and Comparative Studies
*  University of Alberta
*  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2E6

*  telephone:   403 - 492 - 0789
*  fax:                403 - 492 - 2715