Babel seeks multilingual correspondents and translators

Malcolm Lawrence malcolm at wolfenet.com
Tue May 12 04:45:47 UTC 1998

Babel seeks multilingual correspondents and translators

Babel, the multilingual, multicultural online journal of arts and ideas
(http://www.towerofbabel.com) is now seeking multilingual
correspondents and translators to report on what's happening in
your part of the planet for the international stringer "Our Man In
Havana"
section (http://www.towerofbabel.com/sections/ourmaninhavana)

No matter where you are on the planet, no matter what languages you
speak, no matter what you do, we want to know what's going on around you
in as many tongues as you’re fluent in. So far we have stringers in
South Korea, Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York City, Raleigh, Louisiana, San
Francisco, Oakland, Hawaii, Tacoma, prison and church. And so far their
content is all in English, except for one which has been translated into
German and Tagalog as well.

Preferential consideration for any content submitted in more than just
English. Pseudonyms are fine if you are in a delicate situation where
discretion is of the utmost importance. Professional writing experience
is not necessary, and since we can't pay you yet that should encourage
fresh new undiscovered voices.

So far this is what the planet looks like to us:

Africa

Our Man In South Africa - Brett Davidson
Our Woman In Africa - Adeline Apena

Asia

Our Man In East Malaysia - Ben Engelvo
Our Man In Nagano - James Hoadley
Our Man In Tokyo - Bryan Harrell
- Our Woman In Singapore - Shelly Bryant
Our Man In South Korea - Ed Sloan
Our Man In Tokyo - Alan Hulse
Our Woman In Hong Kong - Lise Lingo

Australia

Our Man In Perth - Patrick
Our Man In Melbourne - Murray Lewis
Our Woman In Melbourne - Lesley Podesta

Middle East

Our Woman In Jerusalem - Rachel Bell (Sinai, Paris, Venice)
Our Man In Iran - Parsa Mirhaji

Europe

Our Man In London - Stephen Angell
Our Man In Geneva - Addison Holmes
Our Man In Luxembourg - Reid

India

Our Man In New Delhi - Sundeep Dougal
Our Man In Goa - Frederick Noronha
Our Man In Bombay - Prem Panicker

North America

Our Man In Ontario - Nicholas P. Snoek
Our Man In Hartford - Arthur L. Fern
Our Man In Lafayette - Phil Ward
Our Man In Guantanemo - Sonny Borja
- Our Man In Saint John - M.T. Smith
- Our Man In New York City - Moshe Silverstein
Our Woman In Portland - Susan Moore Denning
Our Woman In New York City - livia sian llewellyn
Our Man In Raleigh - Calvin Stacy Powers
Our Man In Louisiana - Larry Swindle
Our Man In Oakland - David Hahn
Our Man In San Francisco - David Hahn
Our Man From Hawaii - David Hahn
Our Man In Tacoma - Chance Stevens
Our Man In Prison - Lucky & Rich
Our Man In Church - Sterling McKennedy

South America

Our Woman In Brasilia - Norisa Penteado (Rita)
- Our Man In Sao Paulo - Bill Hinchberger

Antarctica

So far it looks like we'll have all the continents (and one
subcontinent) represented. Now all we need to do is find a stringer in
Antarctica  and we'll have the scaffolding all set for the entire
planet.

So if you have a keen eye for observation, a love of life and education,

and a knack for having a deft turn of phrase, please send an email to
malcolm at wolfenet.com.

Malcolm Lawrence
Editor-in-chief
Babel