Slovo o polku Igoreve

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Sat May 2 03:34:23 UTC 1998

Although I find the arguments that the Slovo is an 18th century (Masonic)
fabrication food for thought, very interesting, and ... great fun, there's
one piece of evidence in favour of authenticity which I'd like to cite:

Not only Slavists with the most varying interests, but also Turcologists
have commented extensively on the Slovo, and found it a useful source of
material, some of which occurs nowhere else.  The thought of  soemone in
the late eighteenth century being able to produce a fabrication that
could fool both Slavists and Turcologists is really stretching credulity.

Other roughly coeval fabrications (one of these is controversial, so
if anyone is interested, please reply off list) were revealed as such
precisely because the authors kept on mixing 18th/19th century forms with
medieval forms, did not have too great a knowledge of the idiom, or had
simply made wild guesses as to the nature of the material.

Robert Orr