Printing Cyrillic [was : Cyrillic into Mac Office 98]

Bruno Aeschbacher onurb at swissonline.ch
Sun Nov 15 19:43:10 UTC 1998

I am using a French version of Win95 and Office97, and having installed the
multilanguage support provided by Microsoft there should be no problem
DISPLAYING and WRITING cyrillic.

PRINTING is another problem. Some programs handle it fine, others not, and
among the latter is MS Word for Office 97. All quickly-scrawlies. So I went
through all the FAQs and found out that you don't have have to adapt your
software but your printer driver. Hardware manufacturers and MS should
install better communication...

I wrote an email to my printer manufacturer (in my case :
http://www.brother.ch) and 2 days later they sent me an updated driver.
Quickly, for free - and from then on, I can print all MS-provided Greek and
Cyrillic fonts, including cyrillic KOI8-R (not supported by MS, war is
waging !?). BTW, brother has a page from where you can download the printer
drivers for free. I preferred writing an email because there are hundreds of
different models with different specifications. Who said it was easy to be a
client...?

I will soon upgrade from Win95 to Win98. New problems seem to be awaiting...
Life would be boring otherwise, eh?

Bruno Aeschbacher
onurb at swissonline.ch
2nd year student of Russian